Re: Relevance of experts

>Why do you exclude  ICRP, NCRP, etc. from the "fearmongering" category?

I do not accept, and in fact find quite objectionable, the position put

forth by some on this list of a moral equivalence between these fine

scientific committees and the organizations and individuals bent on

disseminating disinformation for political purposes. We have drawn parallels

before to other periods in history where scientific theories were replaced

or amended by overwhelming evidence. In the case of LNT, there may be

evidence against it, but it is not overwhelming to the point that the

scientific community as a whole, or these committees in particular, have

been swayed to embrace them and the wholesale changes in radiation

protection philosophy and practice they suggest. Equating this cautious

attitude with the irresponsible anti-nuclear fearmongering of the Sternglass

types is, I think, also irresponsible. Such emotional and off-target

accusations cause those who make them to lose credibility in my book. We can

be critical of committees, public agencies, and individuals who we feel may

be overly conservative or who err, that's fine, if it's done constructively.

The more strident criticisms that I often see on this list along the lines

you mention do not interest me even for discussion purposes, because I find

them so patently untenable and unfair.

Mike

Michael G. Stabin, PhD, CHP

Assistant Professor of Radiology and Radiological Sciences

Department of Radiology and Radiological Sciences

Vanderbilt University

1161 21st Avenue South

Nashville, TN 37232-2675

Phone (615) 343-0068