Re: temporal? variations in background

actually no!  wrt gamma background and rain - SOMETIMES you can see a

"washout" from the atmosphere for the first 1/2 hour when the rain

starts - but in general the more it rains the lower the background -

when it stops going down - the ground is saturated.  This also clearly

shows in the annual variation - highest JUST before the fall rains and

lowest just after the spring storms.

I have years of environmental data taken with a very sensitive GM tube

(1 x 12 inch active area) that shows this.  Sensitivity 650k counts per

mREM - so it certainly has the sensitivity to show this.