Re: temporal? variations in background

Ted,

I was talking about radon, not gamma. Radon gets displaced from the pore

spaces in the soil by the water and gets into the air and into your house.

The displacement of radon gas is probably part of the reason gamma goes

down. Remember, 95% of the gamma radiation from the U decay series comes

from the short lived radon progeny, Bi-214 and Pb-214. Water would also add

a bit to the shielding. Radon would take a few days to grow back in after

the soil has dried. Do you notice a lag like that in your gamma readings?

We do operational checks on our Ventilator radon sniffers before we sell

them or before I take them on a consulting job. The first few times after a

rain, I thought we had managed to contaminate the detector, because it was

counting so high.

One of these days I'll get organized and run a radon sniffer 24/7 in the

crawlspace under my house and put the data on the web.

Regards,

Kai

http://www.eic.nu