Re: Governor Gray Davis has vetoed SB 1970

In a message dated 09/30/2002 5:06:50 PM Pacific Daylight Time, lavelyp@UCLINK4.BERKELEY.EDU writes:

I agree that the Gov. sending the bill back unsigned is a great
event; however, if you read the statement from the Gov you may find
that he did not really give the DHS, the courts, or the users in the
state much of a break.

I would tend to agree.  Thank you to everyone who has raised a glass to this veto, but the real credit goes to the CalRad Forum, the San Diego BioCom, and other companies and organizations that worked very hard to bring some sense to this legislative session and to the Governor's office.  Sadly, individual efforts are rarely reviewed by legislative staffers, but that obviously didn't keep me from trying to be heard.

In any case, as Paul points out, the executive order is potentially quite problematic.

We will see what the Waterboard comes up to prevent all radioactive material from decommissioned sites from going to public landfills.  The biggest sunny spot for DHS, from my perspective, might be that they can quit wasting their time digging through trash to find contaminated patient waste, and turn that lovely duty over to the Waterboard so they can determine whether or not it comes from a "decommissioned site."

Barbara