Re: MSDS

MSDS are within the jurisdiction of OSHA. Several years ago, OSHA made the determination that chemicals containing radioactive materials were not within their jurisdiction and that radioactive materials were controlled under more restrictive regulations than would be imposed by the MSDS program. Thus, the chemical species to which the radioactive material was connected might have an MSDS but it would be because of its chemical nature, not because of its radioactivity. I am not aware of any formal MSDS program for radioactive materials. I am aware of many companies that have chosen to generate documentation similar to the MSDS simply to avoid such questions as you have posed here. Sometimes its easier to generate a useless piece of paper to make some nit picker happy than to have a project delayed. Quite honestly, there are few MSDS documents that contain any useful informationanyway.

Bob Gallagher
NSSI/Houston