Re: radiation exposue at st lucie

Norm wrote:

> "Paranoid delusions" was a bit strongly worded, don't you think?

> I do understand the thrust of this discussion. Too little oversight and

accidents

> happen. Too much oversight and, at least most

> of you feel, nit-picking results. Being the paranoid-delusional anti-nuker

that you say

> I am, for now, I would still lean in the direction of nits being picked.

Well put, on both counts. Most of us, if the truth be told, are quite happy

to live in a country where regulators are overly nitpicky rather than overly

lax. We go to the grocery store and really don't think (often) about whether

the milk and meat are free from dangerous bacteria, whereas people in other

countries have to be more cautious. Radiation sources are shipped carefully

and followed through their life cycle, not left unattended in warehouses for

the unsuspecting to stumble upon, as has happened elsewhere. Our regulators

can become a bit overzealous and pompous at times, but it's better than them

taking off at noon and leaving hazards unattended while they sit on the

beach. The additional layer of oversight by the press, consumer watchdog

groups, etc. is *in general* a good thing. The criticism that many get on

this list and elsewhere has to do with their excesses and imbalances.

"Paranoid delusions" are not the norm (even for Norm!), but there are

excesses - the Sternglass extremisms, baby teeth projects, and the like -

and there are imbalances - stark fear of low level waste shipments, but

indifference towards accidents with toxic chemicals that kill and injure

thousands each year. Watchdogs should watch the watchdogs, and the system

will tend to balance itself in the long run, if all ideas are given a chance

to be heard.

Mike

Michael G. Stabin, PhD, CHP

Assistant Professor of Radiology and Radiological Sciences

Department of Radiology and Radiological Sciences

Vanderbilt University

1161 21st Avenue South

Nashville, TN 37232-2675

Phone (615) 343-0068