Re: Hormesis in DSB formation and repair

>>That with each DSB the cell statistically moves one step further into

>>either towards genomic chaos or cell death.

>You're not saying that the authors of this paper are considering misrepair

>in their measure of "enhanced repair"?

My point was not about enhanced repair. It was instead that a large fraction

of radiation induced DSBs in mammalian cells, depending on the status of the

cell (position in cell cycle and other factors that haven't been well

understood yet), are rejoined in such a way that errors are introduced (due

to non-homologous end-joining, NHEJ).

If the NHEJ pathway in knocked out a larger fraction of DSBs will be

rejoined by homologous recombination which - I assume - usually retores the

original sequence. If however, the damaged DNA section is located in a

region where the homologous chromosome (originally from the other parent of

the individual - here used as "backup") carries a critical allele (that

represents a critical step in the development of a tumor for instance) this

deficient allele may get full penetrance.

The word "repair" can easily be misunderstood as meaning "correct repair"

(but it also includes mis-repair). Therefore the word "rejoining" is better

(I have used the word "repair" in a few publications but have shifted over

to rejoining in many contexts).

Please add or modify whatever you may find relevant.

My personal comment only,

Bjorn Cedervall