Re:

> I have in my notes from Roy Parker's class that the U.S. adopted IATA,

Close but not quite.  49 CFR 171.11 permits the use of the ICAO Technical

Instructions as an alternative means of classifying, packaging, marking,

labeling and shipping paper requirements pursuant to Part 172 and 173 and in

accordance with the remaining provisions of 171.11.  The IATA "Regulations"

may be substituted for ICAO to the extent permitted since they are upward

compatible.  The U.S. training requirement is in 172.700-704 (Subpart H) is

outside the specified scope of 49 CFR 171.11.  Therefore, the IATA/ICAO

training provision does not apply.

In reality IATA can not regulate anything, it is simply a "tariff" of their

member airlines.  No one from the carriers are going to audit your training

records, but DOT and FAA does and will.

Roy A. Parker, Ph.D.

roy@royparker.org

Tel: 225-924-1473