From: Ted Rockwell [mailto:tedrock@cpcug.org]
Sent: Thursday, January 02, 2003 11:13 AM
To: radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu; John Cameron; BLHamrick@AOL.COM; 'Jerry Cohen'; Jacobus, John (NIH/OD/ORS)
Cc: Jim Muckerheide
Subject: RE: Not using LNT to calculate risk does not mean there is no risk.

John:

Get real!  NCRP always makes a great show of being open to everyone, but they don't even bother to acknowledge, let alone consider, input showing that LDR is not harmful.  Jerry's case is not anomalous, it's typical.

I asked Art Upton publicly why NCRP-136 did not even reference the definitive works on radiation hormesis by Don Luckey, two books devoted entirely to the subject, citing several thousand references.  Luckey is a biologist of towering credibility and has worked in this field, publishing many papers for decades.  Upton replied that of course they were familiar with Prof. Luckey's works and he would see they were cited.  But he made to effort to evaluate them.

I'll quote from just one example of a comment to NCRP-136 that was ignored.  Zbigniew Jaworowski, head of the Polish Delegation to UNSCEAR and former UNSCEAR Chair, wrote that he has NEVER had any of his comments acknowledged or responded to in NCRP reports, even though his laboratory is an affiliate to NCRP.  I've had the same result in commenting from ANS.  Myron Pollycove requested and received a hearing with the committee, but none of his material was dealt with, although it totally refutes the LNT.

So pls don't characterize these people as objective seekers of truth.  I'll attach the Polish commentary for those who can receive attachments.  Since radsafe does not transmit attachments, I'll just quote the opening words here.  In 12 single-spaced pages, he provides very specific examples.

" In December 1998 Central Laboratory for Radiological Protection in Warsaw, a participant in the Special Liaison Program of  NCRP, on the formal request of  NCRP, prepared a critical review of  the draft of  NCRP Report No. 136 on "Evaluation of the Linear-Nonthreshold Dose-Response Model for Ionizing Radiation". The review, a five page document prepared by us, contained a general part and  25 specific comments. We never received an answer to this criticism, and in the final version of NCRP Report No. 136, almost all of these comments were ignored. Therefore, most of them are repeated here, and a few new ones are added.

 General comments

 The title is inappropriate. The Report, prepared by Scientific Committee 1-6, is not an objective evaluation of the validity of the linear-nonthreshold dose response hypothesis (LNT); but rather is a propagation of LNT. It does not demonstrate that LNT is scientifically valid, but rather that NCRP holds LNT dear. Because of the longstanding involvement of NCRP in applying LNT as the basis of radiation protection and radiation risk evaluation, with all of its far reaching economic, health and social consequences, NCRP is probably not a proper body to conduct an objective estimate of the validity of the LNT, because of the group vested interests that are the case here. In the face of a mounting scientific evidence of invalidity of this hypothesis, and the increasing number of its opponents, the Committee's Report can be seen as an attempt to defend the LNT, and an attempt for an exculpation for its past use. The Committee did not fulfill the provisions from its Legal Notice: "to provide accurate, complete and useful information" for impartial and disinterested evaluation of LNT.  Instead, the Committee correctly states on p. 10: "an exhaustive or comprehensive description of the literature was not the goal of this Report..."

 The Committee has presented an unbalanced presentation of the pros and contras to the LNT. The Report demonstrates a biased selection of published results, offering lengthy and often misleading pro-LNT interpretations and data, but curtailing and deforming the information to the contrary, and most often ignoring it. The Report concentrates almost exclusively on detrimental effects of radiation, and ignores totally the beneficial effects, and even does not mention an existence of  the studies of Planel and his group (e.g. (Planel et al. 1987)) that suggest that ionizing radiation may be essential for life."

And then he proceeds to give detailed examples of just where and how this was done.
. . .