re:Pu pipe removal question

Dave,

The making such measurements is called Non-Destructive Assay.  It is a mature field that was developed specifically for safeguarding and accountability of nuclear materials.

You would use a segmented gamma scanner, if you are certain there are no localized absorbers, such as plutonium metal, large clumps of oxide, or very non-uniform matrices.  SGS is a gamma spectroscopy technique that uses a transmission source to determine the attenuation correction of the material.  The purchase price is often around $100-200K.  If you have a few drums (maybe less than 100) it is practical to perform the measurement manually using a germanium detector and a hand placed transmission source.

You would use a pass!

ive neutron coincidence counter if you had reason to believe you had metal shavings etc.  The essence is to measure neutrons which arise from the spontaneous fission of Pu-240 (2 or 3 neutron emissions during the fission event).  The purchase price of such a system is often $500K+.  The isotopic ratios must be well known, either from process knowledge, by mass-spec analysis of samples, or by a specialized isotopic measurement of the entire drum using a specialized gamma-ray spectroscopy technique called Multi Group Analysis (MGA) or FRAM code.  Those codes examine the ratios of the isotopic lines.  An Add-A-Source is often used to make a matrix correction, which is to place a known source on the outside of the drum and relate the measured response to the effect!

 of the matrix inside of the drum.

You should avoid any inexpensive techniques that simply measures the total neutrons emitted.  Many neutrons typically originate from alpha,n reactions and the rate of generation is entirely dependent on the chemical characteristics of the matrix, the thickness of the deposit, and how well mixed the matrix is.

You should also avoid active interrogation systems, unless you have large amounts of highly enriched uranium.  Not only is it a much more c!

omplex and expensive, but has matrix uncertainties that effect both the neutrons evolved from fission and also the interrogating neutrons.

A reference book is: “Passive Non-destructive Assay of Nuclear Materials” by Los Alamos National Laboratory and issued as NUREG/CR-5550.

A wealth of additional references are available on-line from LANL’s technical library.  I can recommend technical contacts as needed.

The same companies that sell the equipment will lease the equipment.  They also will make measurements on-site.  Possible vendors are:  Canberra, BNFL Instruments, Antech, and Eberline.

Hope this helps,
Brian Keele

The segmented gamma scanner