Non-degreed CHPs?

Having watched this thread for a while on the degree requirement to sit for the CHP exam, I offer the following.

All the information I needed to pass Part I of the exam, I learned in college.  Some of it, I had to relearn in exam prep courses!

Half the information I needed to pass Part II, I learned in college.

Passing the CHP exam requires knowledge in all areas of health physics.  Most health physicists spend their first several years in only one area of health physics, get very knowledgeable in that area, and have huge gaps in their knowledge of other areas.

Though it is possible to work in several health physics areas during your career (I did), it is not possible to remain current in health physics areas you haven't worked in for several years.

In the "old" days when non-degreed HPs were allowed to take the exam, a vast majority of them failed.

I seriously doubt that thinking you don't need more (formal) education is a sign that you do.  Its the experience you acquire after the education that makes the difference.

Strictly my personal observations based on 35 years as a health physicist.

Les Aldrich, CHP