Re: Nuclear Powered Drone Aircraft

Hey, maybe they meant "cold fusion" reactor........Dean Chaney

----- Original Message -----

From: "Strickert, Rick" <rstrickert@signaturescience.com>

To: "Joel Baumbaugh" <baumbaug@NOSC.MIL>; "radsafe"

<radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu>

Sent: Thursday, February 20, 2003 3:26 PM

Subject: RE: Nuclear Powered Drone Aircraft

> http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99993406

> The idea of powering a UAV with a "quantum nucleonic reactor", using

x-rays to "turn on" the gamma ray emission of Hf-178m was based on a

reported 4% increase in gamma intensity from an irradiated Hf-178m source

using a dental x-ray unit

(http://www.utdallas.edu/research/quantum/isomer/PRL00695.pdf).  A

subsequent report from LLNL/LANL/ANL scientists in 2001 ("Search for X-Ray

Induced Acceleration of the Decay of the 31-Yr Isomer 178Hf Using

Synchrotron Radiation",  I. Ahmad, et al., Phys. Rev. Lett. 87, 072503/1-4

(2001) ) seemed to contradict the claim of accelerated gamma emissions (see

also  http://www.aps.anl.gov/highlights/FOREFRONPDFs/47forefront_ahmad.pdf

and www.llnl.gov/llnl/06news/NewsReleases/2001/NR-01-08-05.html).