RE: Digital X-Ray Can Scan Body in 13 Seconds

Hobart,

You are correct.  All interactions in diagnostic

radiology, Rayleigh, photoelectric, and Comptom

scattering involve interactions with electrons.  Since

the electron density of a diamond, with a higher

atomic density, has more electrons, you will get

increased scattering.  Most biological molecules are

composed of low Z elements.  And, as you noted, the

greater differences in density, the greater the

scattering.

I tried to keep the discussion as simple as possible.

I am thinking that the device is like a bone

densimmetry scanner, using a beam with a small cross

sectional area that tracks back and forth over the

worker.  I have seen backscatter units advertised,

such as http://www.rapiscan.com/secure1000.html  It

would be no big trick to develop a system to scan a

workers abdomen.  Again, this is a screening device,

not a diagnostic tool.  I still question the need to

resolve sources as small as 2 mm.  You are looking for

workers stealing ore with diamonds in the matrix, not

separated diamonds.

As for your calculations, I assumed an average photon

energy of 40 keV, and calculated an attenuation ratio

of 0.948 (diamond) to 0.829 (water) for a 2 mm thick

diamond.  The ratio being 1.15.  Again, I question the

presumption that the stone would be so small.

. . .

=====

-- John

John Jacobus, MS