RE: LNT and resources [Was: Scientific responsibility]

Hi John,

Here is a very simple example:

Say you are in the cancer-fighting business and wish to try-out a promissing

new technology. You wish to build a glove box to handle, say 10 Ci, of a

radionuclide that, aside from its predomiantly low-energy spectrum, happens

to have a very low-intensity (say, 0.01%/dis) high-energy component (say,

500 keV).

Try designing a (transparent) glove box (or one with a see-through window)

that effectively reduces the transmitted field to below 3 mR/h at 6 inches

from the glove box surface, as required by legislation. You will find that

the difficulty and cost associated with this simple task is very high

indeed.

You state that you "do not accept" that the resources (read "cost") involved

pose a detriment to society. Cost and profits determine whether projects get

completed. Not completing a project due to the high capital cost of a new

form of cancer treatment can prove an obvious case of where there may be a

detriment to society.

Respectfully yours,

Grant