Re: Radon, Smoking,& LNT

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 epirad@mchsi.com wrote:

> One of the potential problems with such an analysis is that you are not

> adjusting for the covariates of smoking at the same time or considering within

> county non linearities.  This is a problem with ecologic data, no theoretical

> concrete example is needed to support limitations of ecologic data.

	--I need a concrete hypothetical example just to understand what

you mean here. If I try to reply without one, you will say I do not

understand your complaint. With a concrete hypothetical example, the can

be no misunderstanding.

  In

> addition, the smoking treatments you use do not account for smoking intensity

> or duration effects.

	--As I have said many times on this list, my treatment of smoking

intensity is summarized in Sec. 4.4 of item #7 on my web site, and treated

in detail in the reference given there.

	I could easily work out a treatment of effects of variations in

smoking duration, but I don't think that would be publishable. If you

would write a letter to the Editor on that issue, my response would be

publishable, so I would take the time to work it out.