I disagree with "... we don't know what is going on at low levelsof dose."

Dear Colleagues: Mike Stabin wrote (in part):  I believe that anyone

who is honest with the data will admit that at this point in time we

don't know what is going on at low levels of dose."  I strongly

disagree. I know a number of eminent scientists who strongly disagree

with the LNT. A few that come to mind: Lauriston Taylor, Victor Bond,

Myron Pollycove, Ludwig Feinendegen and the authors of the book:

  Radiation Protection Dosimetry - A Radical Reappraisal

by Jack Simmons and David Watt (Medical Physics Publishing about 1998)

Three of the  major conclusions of the book are:

1. Weighting coefficients and risk factors derived with their use are

meaningless numbers when used for calculating radiation protection

dosimetry.

2. To deny the existence of a threshold for the induction of cancer

by radiation is to fly in the face of a large body of evidence

supporting its existence.

3. The postulate of a linear response as a function of dose is, at

best, a crude approximation and, at worst, an extremely expensive way

to over-estimate risk.

	In 1973 Frigerio et al showed conclusively (i.e., high

statistical strength) that the states with the highest background

radiation levels have 15% lower cancer mortality than the average for

all states. In 1998 Jagger showed that three mountain states with

high background had a cancer mortality about 25% lower than three

U.S. Gulf States with a background only one-third of that in the

moutain states. (Again, very high statistical strength.)

	The nuclear shipyard worker study showed that the nuclear

workers had 15% lower cancer mortality (p<0.01) than the controls.

More importantly they had a 31% lower death rate from non-cancer (16

std. dev.). Their death rate from all causes was 24% lower than the

controls (p<10^-16).

	The 100-year study of British radiologists showed that after

1920 they never had a significantly increased cancer death rate and

that for the 100 years their death rate from non-cancer was 14% lower

than their male medical colleagues. Their dose rate about 1920 was

estimated to be about 0.5 Gy/y. For the most recent group studied

(1955-1979) their cancer mortality was 29% lower (NS) and their death

rate from non-cancer was 36% lower (p<0.001) and their death rate

from all causes was 32% lower (p<0.001).

	Where are the human studies that support the LNT in the dose

range <0.2 Gy?

	I do not know what fraction of our colleagues agree with the

statement "we don't know what is going on at low levels of dose."  We

shouldn't let private organization who choose their own members

(i.e., ICRP and NCRP) distort our view of radiation health effects.

I believe we have excellent evidence that there is no increase of

cancer in high background areas. There is even better evidence of

greatly reduced deaths from non-cancer at at occupational dose rates

up to about 1 Gy/y (i.e., early British radiologists).

	We know what is going on at low dose rates if we exclude

a-bomb survivor data. The health effects of instantaneous doses

radiation on a-bomb survivors  are  inappropriate for predicting

health effects at the low dose rates of radiation workers. The dose

group of a-bomb survivors who had a 75% increase in cancer deaths

had a similar numerical increase of non-cancer deaths. This  is

grossly different than  the results of the early UK radiologists

(1897-1920) who had a 75% increase in cancer deaths but a 14%

decrease (p<0.05) in non-cancer deaths. This huge discrepancy in

non-cancer deaths invalidates the use of a-bomb data for longevity

studies, the best measure of health effects of radiation (see last

reference below).

Best wishes,

John Cameron