RE: If you do Science, use the Scientific Method!

>That is why "disproving" the LNT is important.  It is being used in a

reckless manner, even by those who should know better.

I agree that the LNT has been used recklessly, and that responsible

scientists who know better should point out when that is occurring.

However, I think that scientific and intellectual honesty is the most

important element in both our professional lives and our dealings with

the public. I believe that anyone who is honest with the data will admit

that at this point in time we don't know what is going on at low levels

of dose. There is evidence in some experiments and data sets of

thresholds and perhaps hormesis, but in others evidence of linearity,

bystander effects, and other effects at low levels that cannot be

categorically refuted. Until we have a unified and accepted

understanding of low level effects, we should also not recklessly claim

that there are none.

Mike

Michael G. Stabin, PhD, CHP

Assistant Professor of Radiology and Radiological Sciences

Department of Radiology and Radiological Sciences

Vanderbilt University

1161 21st Avenue South

Nashville, TN 37232-2675

Phone (615) 343-0068