Rad Safe Blood Irradiator

Hello,

I would like to request a RADSAFE brain trust on an

issue we have with our Rad Safe Blood Irradiator.

We purchased a New Rad Safe Blood Irradiator in 2001 - which was at the time a new technology that uses

an X-ray Tube versus the standard Cs-137 for irradiating Blood products.  Below I have listed our service

schedule, but the summary is every 6-12 months we are forced to increase the time the of irradiation due

to our TLD dosimetry measurement falling below the required 2500cGy+_10% we require for our standard.  The time has

had to be increased to such a length that it will soon perhaps interfere with our duties and blood irradiation flow rate.

The manufacturer says they are not sure what is causing this and are currently performing research to

determine why time always needs increasing.  My initial thought was flaking of the anode, causing a filter effect

on the glass which continuous increases and filters out radiation, therefore taking longer to get to the 2500cGy

value.  The manufacturer says they do not think so based on research, but are unsure - they do not manufacturer the

tubes and are in consult with the tube manufacturer.

Other than the flaking of the anode theory, what might cause this?

Laura Smith

Date			Issue				TLD Dose	Time

8/8/2001		New unit			2534

8/10/2001		independent evaluator		2734		6.4min

9.27/01			Dose check			2350		""

10/19/01		Qtrly Dose Check		2660		""

1/24/02			""				2610		""

5/24/02			""				2460		""

7/12/02			""				2440		"" - time increased

10/10/02		time increased check again	2460		6.8

12/26/02		Annual service contract		2360		6.8

1/15/03			Qtrly Dose Check		2190		6.8 - time increased

2/4/03			time increased check again	2530		7.5

4/7/03			Qtrly Dose Check		2360		7.5 - time increased

7/9/03 			time increase check again	2460		8.1

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This email message and any accompanying data are confidential, and intended only for the named recipient(s).  If you are not the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified that the dissemination, distribution, and or copying of this message is strictly prohibited.  If you receive this message in error, or are not the named recipient(s), please notify the sender at the email address above, delete this email from your computer, and destroy any copies in any form immediately.