Re: Rad Safe Blood Irradiator

I would check into the (1) the tube current to ensure

you are not having problems with the electrons.  Then,

I would check out (2) target damage due to heat

Let me know what you learn.

--- "Smith, Laura T. (Physics)"

<Laura.Smith7@stjohn.org> wrote:

> Hello,

> I would like to request a RADSAFE brain trust on an

> issue we have with our Rad Safe Blood Irradiator.

> We purchased a New Rad Safe Blood Irradiator in 2001

> - which was at the time a new technology that uses

> an X-ray Tube versus the standard Cs-137 for

> irradiating Blood products.  Below I have listed our

> service

> schedule, but the summary is every 6-12 months we

> are forced to increase the time the of irradiation

> due

> to our TLD dosimetry measurement falling below the

> required 2500cGy+_10% we require for our standard.

> The time has

> had to be increased to such a length that it will

> soon perhaps interfere with our duties and blood

> irradiation flow rate.

> The manufacturer says they are not sure what is

> causing this and are currently performing research

> determine why time always needs increasing.  My

> initial thought was flaking of the anode, causing a

> filter effect

> on the glass which continuous increases and filters

> out radiation, therefore taking longer to get to the

> 2500cGy

> value.  The manufacturer says they do not think so

> based on research, but are unsure - they do not

> manufacturer the

> tubes and are in consult with the tube manufacturer.

> Other than the flaking of the anode theory, what

> might cause this?

> Laura Smith

> Date			Issue				TLD Dose	Time

> 8/8/2001		New unit			2534

> 8/10/2001		independent evaluator		2734		6.4min

> 9.27/01			Dose check			2350		""

> 10/19/01		Qtrly Dose Check		2660		""

> 1/24/02			""				2610		""

> 5/24/02			""				2460		""

> 7/12/02			""				2440		"" - time increased

> 10/10/02		time increased check again	2460		6.8

> 12/26/02		Annual service contract		2360		6.8

> 1/15/03			Qtrly Dose Check		2190		6.8 - time

> increased

> 2/4/03			time increased check again	2530		7.5

> 4/7/03			Qtrly Dose Check		2360		7.5 - time

> increased

> 7/9/03 			time increase check again	2460		8.1

> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This email message and any

> accompanying data are confidential, and intended

> only for the named recipient(s).  If you are not the

> intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified that

> the dissemination, distribution, and or copying of

> this message is strictly prohibited.  If you receive

> this message in error, or are not the named

> recipient(s), please notify the sender at the email

> address above, delete this email from your computer,

> and destroy any copies in any form immediately.

> radsafe" (no quote marks) in the body of the e-mail,

> with no subject line.

> You can view the Radsafe archives at

> http://www.vanderbilt.edu/radsafe/

=====

"Self-criticism is the secret weapon of democracy, and candor and confession are good for the public soul."

Adlai Stevenson

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist