No decision on new French nuclear reactor - PM

No decision on new French nuclear reactor - PM

German state may try legal block to keep nuclear

Leak Discovered at N.H. Nuclear Plant

INTERVIEW - Slovak power firm sees interest for nuclear assets

Iran Wants to Allay Nuclear Concerns

==================================

No decision on new French nuclear reactor - PM

PARIS, Oct 9 (Reuters) - France has made no decision yet on whether

to build a new advanced nuclear power reactor to plug an energy

supply gap in 10 years' time, French Prime Minister Jean-Pierre

Raffarin announced on Thursday.

The statement came after Industry Minister Nicole Fontaine said

earlier this week she backed launching the European pressurised water

reactor (EPR), renewing the world's No. 2 nuclear power producer's

dependence on the energy source.

Raffarin's office said in a statement it would publish a broad

consultation paper on France's future energy policy in a few weeks'

time as a basis for public debate.

"Mme Fontaine was acting fully within her role of making proposals.

No decision has been taken by the prime minister," the statement

said.

"The role of nuclear energy will obviously be discussed (in the

consultation paper) but the Government also plans to propose

ambitious measures aimed at controlling demand and reinforcing the

role of renewable energies," it said.

The EPR project by French state-owned nuclear energy services firm

Areva and Germany's Siemens, has waited for two years for the green

light in France amid protests by anti-nuclear groups.

Fontaine's comments at a news conference on Wednesday sparked

protests from French opposition parliamentarians that Raffarin's

conservative government was not interested in consulting before

making a final decision.

At present, nuclear reactors supply nearly 80 percent of France's

power needs. Fontaine said EPR was both safer and more cost-effective

than the current generation of reactors.

--------------------

German state may try legal block to keep nuclear

FRANKFURT, Oct 9 (Reuters) - One of Germany's most powerful states,

Baden-Wuerttemberg, said on Thursday it may go to court to stop the

national government from phasing out nuclear energy over the next 20

years.

Abandoning nuclear power would cause considerable economic and

ecological damage as it was unclear how lost capacity would be

replaced if not through coal-fired power plants, one of the most

polluting ways to generate energy, it said.

"Baden-Wuerttemberg currently examines the option of going to the

Federal Constitutional Court to stop Germany's nuclear energy exit,"

a spokesman for the state's economy ministry said.

"Some questions still remain unanswered and we also want to talk

about the issue with other German states, particularly (the Christian

Democratic-led) Bavaria and Hesse," he said.

The German Social Democratic-Green government coalition aims to

entirely ditch nuclear power, which accounts for almost a third of

national energy generation, by the early 2020s.

Europe's biggest economy is also pressing on with political targets

to slash emissions of greenhouse gases, which largely rule out the

promotion of "dirty" coal-based technology.

"We are not against renewable energy sources, but they will not

suffice to fill the supply gap," said the ministry spokesman.

In Baden-Wuerttemberg, five nuclear power stations with a total

capacity of 4,900 megawatts, are due to be closed by 2022.

The reactors supplied some 58 percent of the southern German state's

electricity, while wind turbines, one of the renewable energy

technologies promoted by the federal government, only generated some

0.35 percent of total power output.

"Our goal is therefore to prolong the lifetime of existing nuclear

power stations, which would be cost efficient and less polluting,"

said the spokesman.

Baden-Wuerttemberg is home to much of Germany's export industries,

including carmakers DaimlerChrysler and Porsche.

-----------------

Leak Discovered at N.H. Nuclear Plant

CONCORD, N.H. (AP) - Inspectors at the Seabrook Station nuclear plant

discovered a coolant leak inside the containment dome that is similar

to one that caused an expensive and lengthy shutdown of a plant in

Ohio.

The leak, discovered Tuesday and reported to the Nuclear Regulatory

Commission, poses no danger and was caught in time to prevent costly

damage, a spokesman for the plant and an NRC spokeswoman said.

The leak was discovered during a monthlong refueling shutdown that

began Saturday morning, plant spokesman Alan Griffith said.

"It's a very small and recent leak," he said.

The leak was in a weld on a pipe that surrounds a mechanism that

moves fuel rods in and out of the reactor. The leak allowed a

coolant, which contains corrosive particles, to escape from the pipe.

If allowed to accumulate for months or years, the coolant can eat

through steel. Plant technicians think the leak started in the last

two to three weeks, Griffith said.

A leak at Ohio's Davis-Besse plant went undetected for years and the

coolant nearly ate through a 6-inch steel cap protecting the reactor.

It was the most extensive corrosion ever at a U.S. nuclear reactor

and cost the plant's operator more than $500 million for repairs and

the purchase of power from other sources.

That leak was discovered in March 2002; the plant may reopen this

fall.

-----------------

INTERVIEW - Slovak power firm sees interest for nuclear assets

BRATISLAVA, Oct 8 (Reuters) - Slovakia's plan to sell dominant power

producer Slovenske Elektrarne (SE) is expected to attract more than

one bidder interested in buying both the firm's conventional and

nuclear assets, SE's chairman said on Wednesday.

The government aims to sell at least 49 percent in SE in the

country's last transfer of control in a major state-run utility.

The government will soon re-open a tender originally launched over a

year ago to allow Czech utility CEZ and other potential bidders into

the contest after the initial attempt showed low interest for SE's

nuclear power stations. SE Chairman Miroslav Rapsik told Reuters in

an interview at an energy conference that more than one firm could

show interest in buying the whole company, not just its conventional

hydroelectric and gas- and coal-fired plants.

"I expect there to be at least two or three investors interested in

SE as a whole," Rapsik said.

Eight firms originally showed interest in SE, but they all only

wanted the company's conventional generation facilities.

Industry insiders said firms shied away from the nuclear part because

of its enormous debt, stranded costs, and its need to decommission

the older of its two plants. Stranded costs are unrecouped

investments at a plant because the assets cannot make electricity at

competitive prices.

CEZ, seen as a frontrunner in the sale, has said the Czech state, its

majority owner, would support acquiring the nuclear activities.

Sources close to the deal say U.S.-based AES Corp, Germany's E.ON and

EnBW, Austria's Verbund, Italy's Enel, Electricite de France and

Britain's International Power are other potential bidders.

The state's sale adviser, PricewaterhouseCooper's Peter Mitka, said

on Wednesday he expected more than 10 firms to participate after the

relaunch.

Mitka has said Slovakia will advertise in newspapers this week for

new expressions of interest, with a deadline of November 10 and

preliminary bids expected by year-end.

2005-2006 TIMETABLE

Slovak Economy Minister Pavol Rusko said earlier this week the sale

could take until mid-2006 if the government decides SE must be split

and sold in separate nuclear and conventional parts.

But he said the deal could close sooner if it is sold in one piece.

Rapsik agreed: "If we consider (to sell it) as a whole, the deadline

of the end of 2005 is more or less realistic."

He added SE will have to agree with the state on how to deal with

some 44 billion crowns ($1.3 billion) in stranded costs linked to the

nuclear assets, including two unfinished blocks at the newer of

Slovakia's two nuclear stations, Mochovce.

SE has long faced problems with regulations that keep energy prices

artificially low.

"If blocks three and four (at Mochovce) are not solved, the burden

would be so high that interest in the sale would be lower," Rapsik

said. Slovakia's other nuclear plant, Bohunice, is scheduled to begin

decommissioning in 2006.

Rapsik said SE is unlikely to significantly lower its debt, which

reached 54.6 billion crowns at end-2002 versus 50.8 billion of own

capital, as a majority of the company's earnings go to service

interest on existing debt.

He said SE should post a moderate profit this year after a net profit

of 235 million crowns in 2002.

---------------------

Iran Wants to Allay Nuclear Concerns

TEHRAN, Iran (AP) - Iran's president said Wednesday his government

will do everything it can to allay concerns about its nuclear program

as long as such efforts do not entail a threat to the nation's

security.

The International Atomic Energy Agency has given Iran until the end

of the month to prove it has no plans to produce nuclear weapons. The

U.N. watchdog has also called on Iran to sign an additional protocol

to the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty, providing IAEA inspectors

with unfettered access to any site.

"We are ready to do everything that does not damage our national

security, sovereignty and territorial integrity - even accepting the

additional protocol," President Mohammad Khatami told reporters.

He did not explain in which circumstances IAEA access might be

limited by national security concerns, and a government spokesman

could not be reached for comment Wednesday.

"We are ready to exert all efforts to ease concerns ... (about) the

proliferation of nuclear weapons, which we are sure we are not

seeking," Khatami said. "But we expect our right to the peaceful use

of nuclear energy to be respected."

Iran says its nuclear program is strictly for generating electricity,

particularly after its oil reserves run out. But the United States

strongly suspects that Iran is building atomic bombs, and has urged

the IAEA to declare the country in breach of the treaty, which

forbids the acquisition of nuclear weapons.

If the IAEA board of directors, which is scheduled to meet in

November, is not satisfied by Iran's steps to comply with the Oct. 31

deadline, it is expected to refer the matter to the U.N. Security

Council. The Security Council could impose sanctions on Iran.

Khatami did not promise that Iran will meet the deadline and hinted

that more time might be needed.

"Still, we have time before the 90th minute," Khatami said with a

smile, referring to the length of a soccer match and extra time for

injuries. "Sometimes you have five to six minutes of extra time."

The president said he hoped the IAEA will issue a fair assessment of

Iran's attempt to cooperate with the U.N. agency.

"We have implemented a considerable part of the protocol, and our

cooperation has been beyond our obligations under Nuclear Non-

Proliferation Treaty. I hope, with the grace of God, the cooperation

we have extended will lead to a fair report.

"That means the (IAEA) report will not be influenced by pressure,"

Khatami said, making an oblique reference to U.S. claims about Iran's

nuclear program.

Khatami added that a majority of Iranians want their country to

pursue a peaceful nuclear program.

Earlier this month, Iran's foreign minister said the country would do

all it could to prevent the issue from going to the Security Council.

But hardline members of the ruling hierarchy have called for a

withdrawal from the treaty.

Sandy Perle

Vice President, Technical Operations

Global Dosimetry Solutions, Inc.

3300 Hyland Avenue

Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100  Extension 2306

Fax:(714) 668-3149

E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net

E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com

Personal Website: http://sandy-travels.com/