AW: Widow Maker

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----

Von: owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

[mailto:owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu]Im Auftrag von Syd Levine

(AnaLog)

Gesendet: Montag, 02. Februar 2004 19:38

An: radsafe

Betreff: Widow Maker

I saw Widow Maker on a premium channel this weekend.  Some things did not

ring true about the dosimetry.

After ten minutes exposure, the guys had immediate symptoms including burns

and throwing up.  They were also so radioactive they were supposedly a

danger to others.  They were working in the containment on coolant lines

when exposed.  Does this make sense?

Of course I have not seen this movie - living in Europe - but we have here

quite a lot of TV movies about stolen, supposed to be stolen, and threatened

to be stolen nuclear weapons. This includes Mr. James Bond, but any B-movies

or C-movies (if they exist) are well in line. This is supported by another

line which includes nuclear power plant failures and the heroes, who save

the world from being killed. Surprisingly heroes are often black, which

might indicate a certain good will, which might have resulted in government

support for the production costs of the film....... I remember one such

films, which was demonstrating devastation on a nuclear submarine, three

persons trying to shut down the nuclear reactor, but only one person dared

to cross an area, where contaminated water was dropping down. It was said,

that crossing this barrier, with (please forgive me, for not remembering the

exact numbers) 10 microCi of "radioactivity" would be absolutely deadly.

After the hero had crossed this barrier, shut the reactor down and returned,

he did not even take a shower.....

If I had taken and would take the time to view these silly movies I could

fill a lot of megabytes on RADSAFE. No fear! I will not do it, simply

because I think that other programmes on European TV have much more

significance for our everyday life and for our future.

I conclude, that I have problems to understnad, why such an obvious

nonsense, which is forgotten after having been broadcasted can be a reason

for heated debates on RADSAFE.

Best regards,

Franz