Senator Reid and Yucca Mountain Hazards

He is still at it:  This man evidently does not know or care to know that wind storms in the Nevada deserts lift up and deposit far more silica dust in and around major population centers than that which the Yucca workers are being exposed to!  I notice that the citadels of higher learning in Nevada have not refuted any of Reid's outlandish claims concerning Yucca Mountain, and we all know why - grants.  It is in-action like this that makes over turning LNT difficult.

Dean Chaney, CHP

By Ken Ritter

ASSOCIATED PRESS

2/13/2004 12:22 am

Reid calls for Yucca closure

LAS VEGAS - Nevada state inspectors visited the construction site of the nation's nuclear waste dump Thursday where

work continued despite Sen. Harry Reid's call for a shutdown until officials determine whether rock tailings pose a health hazard.

"All work at Yucca Mountain should stop until we can gauge the extent of this problem," Reid, D-Nev., said in a statement

accusing the Energy Department of rushing to build the repository while failing to protect workers from potentially toxic silica dust.

Reid, who failed to marshal the votes to stop the project when Congress approved it in 2002, said he wants a congressional

hearing on the health issue.

Energy Department spokesman Joe Davis said the federal agency has complied with air safety standards at the site 90 miles northwest

of Las Vegas, he said.

See full story at and other concerns of Sen. Reid at:

http://www.rgj.com/news/stories/html/2004/02/13/63885.php?sp1=rgj&sp2=News&sp3=Local+News&sp5=RGJ.com&sp6=news&sp7=local_news

I have been e-mailing Reid (or whom ever intercepts his email) about his hysterical view on Yucca mountain.

Fell free to voice your opinions (pro and con) on Yucca Mountain to both of Nevada's Senators at:

      Reid, Harry - (D - NV)  Class III

      528 HART SENATE OFFICE BUILDING WASHINGTON DC 20510

      (202) 224-3542

      http://reid.senate.gov/

            Ensign, John - (R - NV)  Class I

            364 RUSSELL SENATE OFFICE BUILDING WASHINGTON DC 20510

            (202) 224-6244

            http://ensign.senate.gov/