Re: [Know_Nukes] Errors in NRC TMI Factsheet

"By mid-morning, citizens (many who had not heard

about the accident) were reporting a metallic taste in

their mouths."? This is the first I have ever heard of

this.  Is this to imply their was a release of

radioactive material from the TMI plant?

Which is only exceeded by "Dr. Wing reported that

"...there were reports of erythema, hair loss,

vomiting, and pet death near TMI at the time of the

accident..."

I do believe that anyone outside of the anti-nuclear

community that believe there was an increase of cancer

deaths.

http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/fact-sheets/3mile-isle.html)

> [...]

> regulatory matters.

> Initially,

> the NRC was more interested in hiding from

> responsibility than offering

> advice to the company.

> .Helicopters hired by TMI's owner, General Public

> Utilities Nuclear, and

> the Department of Energy were sampling radioactivity

> in the atmosphere

> above the plant by midday. A team from the

> Brookhaven National

> Laboratory was also sent to assist in radiation

> monitoring..

> By mid-morning, citizens (many who had not heard

> about the accident) were

> reporting a metallic taste in their mouths. Because

> the reactor had been

> leaking for several weeks, the reactor drain tank

> was full and a pathway to

> the environs had already been created by valves

> aligned to handle the

> leaking coolant and facilitate the falsification of

> the leak rates.

> Additionally, at the time of the accident, GPU

> reported that radiation

> monitors went off-scale, filters were clogged and

> other monitoring devices

> .disappeared.. Therefore, we do not know how much

> radiation escaped

> undetected into the atmosphere. Still, the Columbia

> Study found increased

> cancer incidence, including lung cancer, from

> 1975-1985.

> .In an atmosphere of growing uncertainty about the

> condition of the

> plant, the governor of Pennsylvania, Richard L.

> Thornburgh, consulted

> with the NRC about evacuating the population near

> the plant. Eventually,

> he and NRC Chairman Joseph Hendrie agreed that it

> would be prudent

> for those members of society most vulnerable to

> radiation to evacuate the

> area. Thornburgh announced that he was advising

> pregnant women and

> pre-school-age children within a 5-mile radius of

> the plant to leave the

> area..

> The NRC.s agreed upon conditions of a reactor which

> would require

> evacuation of nearby communities had already been

> met two days earlier on

> Wednesday the 28th. Governor Thornburgh complained

> often about the

> conflicting and confusing data coming from the plant

> and the NRC.

> ...even though it led to no deaths or injuries to

> plant workers or

> members of the nearby community..

> In August 1996, a study by the University of North

> Carolina-Chapel Hill,

> authored by Dr. Steven Wing, reviewed the

> Susser-Hatch study (Columbia

> University; 1991). Dr. Wing reported that "...there

> were reports of

> erythema,

> hair loss, vomiting, and pet death near TMI at the

> time of the accident...

> Accident doses were positively associated with

=== message truncated ===

=====

"The care of human life and happiness . . . is the first and only legitimate object of good government."

Thomas Jefferson

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist

e-mail:  crispy_bird@yahoo.com

Yahoo! Search - Find what you.re looking for faster

http://search.yahoo.com