Re: NIOSH Reconstruction Western NY worthless

I would like to point out that Mr. Ricciuti is a well known (in the Western New York area) anti-nuker.  I have seen him publish claims about the Lake Ontario Works site that were greatly questionable (at least in my opinion).

This ad hominum against Mr. Dooley is greatly in appropriate.

In other words, I wouldn't put to much stock in his comments.

NiagaraNet@AOL.COM wrote:

Dear sincere Radsafers:

Whom ever did the historic document search and dose reconstruction for Bethlehem Steel in Lackawanna, New York, (yes, one in the same as the terrorists) and other sites around Western New York, should be horse whipped, tarred then feathered and run outta town on a rail. I am assuming that this "reconstruction" was done by the MJW Corp and the folks who didn't have a clue about Union Carbide's ElectroMetallurgical Works in Niagara Falls, NY. And YES Virginia, E-Met was the free world's largest production center for Uranium metal-from ore contrary to a previous (debate) that happened here last year with MJW "officials".

I have reviewed the entire NIOSH report released last fall and have found GAPING HOLES in it. Inaccuracies and incomplete research seem to prevail--I guess you have to do something to "earn" your $20 million. Isn't that correct Mr. Dooley and company? Sorry for the name use, but I only call em as I see em!

Someone pass the butter please?

Anyone care to debate this NIOSH reversal?

Sincerely,

Louis Ricciuti

Niagara Falls  Lewiston, NY

The Los Alamos east--Before there was Los Alamos, there was LOOW,

The Lake Ontario Ordnance Works

email me:  NiagaraNet@aol.com

****

Agency reverses on N-workers' aid money

By DOUGLAS TURNER

News Washington Bureau Chief

3/23/2004

WASHINGTON - The federal government has reversed itself on aid eligibility

for Bethlehem Steel Corp. employees whose health suffered because they worked

on nuclear materials at the Lackawanna facility.

Payments of as much as $150,000 for hundreds of Western New Yorkers are at

stake.

A 2000 federal law offered compensation to those who worked on the weapons

program from 1949 to 1952.

But the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health said last

November that there was the potential that workers could have suffered harm long

after the nuclear weapons-related work ceased at the site. This offered hope to

hundreds of workers whose applications had been denied because they did not

work there between 1949 and 1952.

Monday, however, the agency said that it made an "error" in November.

An unsigned agency announcement said its November report will be corrected to

state, "Records pertaining to Bethlehem Steel, Lackawanna, indicate there is

little potential for significant residual contamination at the site after

weapons-related operations ended there in 1952.

"As a result of an inadvertent error, the report incorrectly said that a

potential for residual contamination existed after 1952. NIOSH regrets any

inconvenience that these changes to the report may cause."

Rep. Jack F. Quinn, R-Hamburg, responding to the latest finding, said,

"Hundreds of Bethlehem Steel workers and their families have relied on the contents

of the (November) report to not only confront the reasons behind their

illnesses, but also to create hope that they may be compensated for their illnesses."

Rep. Louise M. Slaughter, D-Fairport, said, "I cannot fathom how a mistake

this tragic was allowed to occur at a federal agency whose mission is to assist

these harmed workers. NIOSH is making the unbelievable admission that it

screwed up a report that was over a year late to Congress and has been sitting on

their Web site since last November."

Slaughter said she is calling on the agency to prove that the site was

cleaned up.

This may be difficult, however, because buildings where the work was

conducted were razed years ago.

The latest findings could undermine support for a bill introduced by Quinn to

extend federal compensation to claimants who were employed by the plant after

the nuclear weapons work was said to be finished.

Slaughter and Rep. Thomas M. Reynolds, R-Clarence, are co-sponsors of the

bill.

As of Sept. 30, the end of the last fiscal year, only 138 of the 907 claims

filed by former Bethlehem workers had been approved.

Do you Yahoo!?