Re: Al-Qaida may have nuclear weapons

There is a distinct difference is using a simplified model to implement a

program for the sake of simplicity and consistency (LNT) and being able to use

more complex models to solve real problems.  LNT was an administrative decision

on how to do business in the future and real problem solving is preventing the

occurrence or recurrence of multivariate problems that others place at our

feet to solve.  The issue of WMD's is one of problem solving, not providing

administrative guidelines for terrorists to follow.  If they would follow the

rules, we could set up some simplified administrative processes that would work

(i.e. concentration, total content, etc.)

When it comes to setting simple programmatic thresholds, I think you should

use simple models that RP personnel and radworkers can understand and comply

with consistently.  Remember, nobody wants to spend money to have their

resources sit in RP training, so you have to use your brilliance to really simplify

your processes.  In this case you have the choice of how you wish to implement

your program.  The sign of a good HP is being able write a procedure for a 7th

grade audience level that meets all of the regulatory requirements and levels

of excellence (ALARA) you're looking for.

The LNT model is a simplistic model that is used implement risk calculation

and regulatory processes.  It is not designed to solve a problem.  Everyone put

their heads together and said, this probably isn't the most correct model,

but this is the one that is easy to implement and should probably result in

accurate or conservative risk estimates.  Solving problems requires being able

analyze whatever variables may be present and not just assuming a linear model.

Thoroughly understanding and solving significant problems rarely involve a

single-point failure (linear model).

I often times have to solve real problems that may require the understanding

of multiple variables.  In fact, you'll find that most significant incidents

had several contributing factors that led up to an event, not a single point

failure that is totally responsible.  Most programs have processes and

procedures capable of preventing the catostrophic single-point failures.  To assume the

linear approach might solve one facet of the problem, but you'll have a

repeat later because you didn't address the root of the issue.

In the end, if you set up programmatic models too complex to follow or your

view of complex problems is simplistic and you do not look deep enough, than

you have failed.  The tough part is to be perfect at both, all of the time.

Anything less is unacceptable.

Glen Vickers