Re: Outdated Love Canal reference from Weiner - Dapra is..

March 30

	First, I did not post any Science article to RADSAFE.  Louis Ricciuti is

wrong about that.

	Second, the Science article was not "incorrect."  It was true based on

what was known at the time it was written; and its authors, all of them

from the NY State Department of Health, are not responsible for anything

that happened after they wrote.

	Contrary to what Louis Ricciuti said, the Science article was not

"foisted" upon anyone.  To foist something means to force someone to accept

something by stealth or deceit.  No one was forcing anyone to accept

anything, nor was anyone using stealth or deceit.  (Webster's New

Collegiate Dictionary, 1974)

	How clever of Louis Ricciuti to inform us that in the past he has provided

links to the NYS Zip Code Cancer Initiative.  When?  I have never seen any

such links.  More to the point, why didn't he provide them now, when we

could use them?  A year or two ago I spent several days trying to pry

source material out of Louis Ricciuti, but when he finally provided some it

was so obscure I would have had to go to the NY Public Library or to Albany

(the state capitol) to find it.

	Furthermore, despite my earlier request in this thread Louis Ricciuti has

not provided source material to support his claims.  On March 27 I asked

for a link to a NIOSH report he claimed to have read, but no link (or

citation) has been forthcoming.   I also asked him to recommend published

studies (other than by Gofman et al.) that show a cause and effect between

exposures received by workers at the New York sites and the worker's

current illnesses.  This request was also been ignored, even as we were

admonished to read and study more about the cancers that are claimed to

have been caused by radiation exposure.

	How curious that cancers have developed both upwind and downwind from Love

Canal.  They seem to crop up wherever it is convenient, don't they?  Or do

they crop up because people are living there, and because 25 percent of all

people will contract cancer no matter where they live, upwind, downwind,

sidewind, or no wind?

	Louis Ricciuti says I "see no possible association or potential for a

correlation to materials that [I am] not familiar with as historically

being in the area, and disease(s) currently being seen."

	I neither said nor suggested there was no correlation.  What I did say was

that Louis Ricciuti has not shown a cause and effect relationship between

these cancers and rad exposures at the various sites he has named.  (By the

way, Louis, how do you know I am not familiar with these materials?  You

know nothing about my background.)

	Louis Ricciuti made a lot of noise today about bad source material.  As

noted above, he hasn't offered any source material; good, bad, or

indifferent.  Louis, why don't you put your money where your mouth is.  You

can begin with a link or a citation to the NIOSH study you were denouncing

a few days ago.

Steven Dapra

sjd@swcp.com