C-14 production

Hi All,

I've received a few similar questions about the C-14 calculation I posted.

In trying to keep it short I left some confusion. I used the C-12 capture

cross section to determine the mean path length for removal of neutrons in

graphite since it is the dominant nuclide.  I did not mean for people to

infer that I was calculating double neutron capture.  In my calculation I

went back and calculated the number C-13(n, gamma)C-14 reactions based on

the C-13 abundance and cross section.

This calculation was in no way meant to be exact, as there is a lot going on

that I didn't have a good way to treat.  It was meant soley as an estimate

of the scale of C-14 production in the graphite.  One should also remember

that the N14(n,p)C14 and  and O-17(n,alpha)C14 reactions were excluded as

well.

Dale