RSO Department Size?

Denis J. Rinkacs Jr wrote:

(snip)
>CMU is a research university located in Pittsburgh (go Pens!)
>Pennsylvania.  We currently possess a broadscope, SNM, and state
>license/registration for the use of unsealed and sealed sources and xray
>generating machines.
(snip)
>My question is, based on the above, how large of a Rad Safety Department
>would you all consider acceptable to provide minimal coverage.

Here at our directorate, we have an NRC Broadscope License, a license for
our Co-60 irradiatiors, and an SNM license, as well as an accellerator,
an industrial x-ray facility, and three labs.  To watch over all of this,
we have four civilian HPs, one contract tech, and one (me) military HP tech.
Unfortunately, the contract was written so that our contract tech cannot
be considered for clearance into secured areas.   Also, as I have ranted
about in a previous message, the health physics division has been
given oversight of our hazardous chemical waste disposal program.

Our situation here is the reverse of Mr Rinkacs'.  Our contract tech
and I will be leaving by the end of the year.  There doesn't appear
to be any action on the part of the contractor to replace her.  The
Army is, of course, cutting back.  So, when I leave, my position will
be abolished and no replacement asked for.  Any suggestions to our
management concerning this?

Standard Disclaimer:  These are my opinions alone, and do not reflect
the official views of the US Army or the US Government.

     * JOHN E. APERANS, RRPT                           *
     *  Directorate for Applied Technology, Test and   *
     *                     Simulation (DATTS)          *
     *  US Army White Sands Missile Range, NM 88002    *
     *  ATTN: Health Physics                           *
     * FAX: (505) 678-7410  VOICE: (505) 678-2064      *
     * e-mail: japerans@wsmr-emh81.army.mil            *
     The chicken HAD to come first.  An egg would have been
     fried and eaten.