Trilinear Chart of the Nuclides -Reply

Gene Jablonowski wrote:

>I have a Trilinear Chart of the Nuclides (Mallinckrodt Chemical
>Works, 1968) and am trying to get additional, updated copies.
>Anyone know any sources?

Its my understanding that the last version of the trilinear chart
came out in 1979 using 1978 data. Marshall Brucer, who worked with
Mallinckrodt, was responsible for the 1968 and 1979 editions. The
original was designed by William Sullivan at Oak Ridge National
Laboratory in 1944/46 and first published, I believe, by Wiley and
Sons in 1949. I tried to get one from Brucer a couple of years ago
but as hard as it is to believe, he didn't have one (at least one he
would give me). In the 50's, Sullivan issued hexagonal stamps that
could be stuck on the chart as a way to update it. Boy, I'd love to
have some of those.

Its a truely beautiful thing  and a shame that its not being produced
anymore. For those unfamiliar with it, the nuclides are displayed as
hexagons rather than as squares as in the conventional chart. The
isobars run vertically, the isotopes run from lower left to upper
right and the isotones run from upper left to lower right.

Good luck and hold onto that 68 edition, I'd rather have it than the
later version anyday.

Paul Frame
Professional Training Programs
Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education
framep@orau