Re: your mail

On Tue, 26 Nov 1996, Kimberly A. Kulpanowski wrote:

> If I may employee your assistance once again, I would like to know how you
> handle contaminated clothing.  If 100 ml of C-14 in water, total activity
> 0.1 uCi is spilled directly on street clothes (i.e. lab coat NOT being worn)
> would you discard the clothing or launder them and return them to the
> employee.  I'm familiar with the option of cutting out the contaminated area
> of the clothing, but hardly seems realistic when dealing with street
> clothes.  My initial response would be to discard the clothing because I
> don't know how you can assure that after decon, you have removed all C-14.
> Since this clothing is street clothing worn directly against the skin, I
> feel justified in this logic. I'm wondering if others would agree or if you
> would wash the clothes and return them to the employee.  If you would like
> to respond, my e-mail address is kulpanowski@glerl.noaa.gov     Thank you
> for your assistance.

Kim,
  I wouldn't do anything, assuming the clothing is not undergarments.
Given the average beta energy of 14-C, there is no way that ANY effect
would result from wearing clothing with 0.1 uCi on it, whether localized
or spread out.
Les Fraley (former RSO, Colorado State University-I quite, not fired)