Re[2]: The Health Physics Profession

     Another 2 cents,

     As a part-time RSO with exactly three (3) weeks of formal training, I
     consider myself a professional.

     The prime reason for this conviction is that I know what I don't know.
     In other words, I know when to call for help, and I think that this is
     another important requirement for all "professionals", to know when
     the situation has exceeded their level of expertise.

     Another reason for my conviction is that I have continued to expand my
     knowledge of the specific radiation safety aspects which constitute my
     job as a RSO from any and all sources (the most useful of which has
     been RADSAFE itself). In other words, another important requirement
     for a "professional" is that he or she continues to expand their body
     of knowledge about their profession long after any formal training or
     education has been completed.

     Lastly, I think "professionalism" is an attitude. No degree or
     certification can guarantee that attitude. We encounter true
     professionals in all walks of life, and almost always recognize them
     when we see them in action, whether they are our favorite auto
     mechanic or the family doctor or the chief HP at our facility.

     Regards,

     Mike Ashland, RSO
     EST
     Pittsfield, Maine, USA
     mike.ashland@gsbsc.gensig.com

     Any and all opinions expressed above are those of the author and do
     not necessarily reflect any official position of EST.