Reply: Type A Testing

The following is information from my company which may be of help:

October 27, 1997

Don Jordan

University of Chicago                                                            TEL 773-702-6299

Office of Radiation Safety                                                      FAX 773 702-4008

Zoolology Building Room 11

1101 East 57th Street

Chicago, Ill 60637

Dear Mr. Jordan:

I noted your comments concerning Type A testing and facilities which provide such testing.

In the radioactivity area the biggest problem is in having a product or waste stream with a

sufficient number of repetitive shipments to justify the cost of testing of a package. One can

make the package have broader application by broadly defining the characteristics of the

material to be transported. A package designed to transport flammable radioactive liquids

can be broadened by defining that the container is to be used only for "flammable or

combustible liquids with boiling point not to exceed         degrees Centigrade and a density

not to exceed       ". If the package is then tested for those extremes, it can be utilized for

any density of boiling point less than that noted.

With respect to facilities which possess radioactive material licenses that would permit

testing with radionuclides, NSSI provides such services to it's customers. At a charge of

$500 per package type, NSSI has tested numerous packages associated with transport of

radioactive sealed sources and radioactive liquid tracers.

NSSI normally tests only a single package to meet the DOT test requirements as the

packages are for use by the customer and not for sale to a broad range of users. As I read

the regulations, if the package is to be distributed for general use, one needs to test multiple

packages and retain the test specimens for several years after the last use of the package.

While chemical tracers allow the testing company to see liquid leaks, as you note, such tests

do not allow the test facility to measure the effect of leakage or shifting of the inner

radionuclide on the surface dose rate of the package. NSSI normally tests packages with the

actual radioactive material contained.

The biggest problem we have encountered is that container manufacturers may refuse to

sell you components for your package once their lawyers realize that their container is

being used for a radioactive shipment. They see potential liability because of the

radioactivity and want no part of the package. Again you should consider using

components in your package from manufacturers who are aware of the final use of their

product and may wish to have duplicate packages tested at the same time with components

from different manufacturers to insure that you have not tested a container which you

cannot obtain parts for.

I don't think I agree with you concerning the use of a steel drum rated for liquids so you

won't have to use absorbents. I am assuming you are talking about the inner liquid

container to be used in the package. The use of an inner container rated for liquids lessens

the chance that the package will fail but it is the responsibility of the user to be sure that it

won't fail. I would be interested to learn how the use of such a container relieves the user of

the need for an absorbent.

In your particular case, shielding is not needed because of the radionuclides you ship. For a

shipper of gamma emitters the problem of providing an inner shielded liquid container

becomes a major problem.

I would appreciate any feedback you or other Radsafers can contribute.

Bob Gallagher

NSSI

Box 34042

Houston, TX 77234