Another Interesting Item found?? -Reply

Bruce,
We ran into similar devices a few months ago when the local electric
utility tried to scrap parts from their old (15-20y) vacuum breaker units
(VBU's).  The devices had enough activity to alarm the gate monitors at
the scrap yard.  Our investigation, aided by Darrel Weiderman, NRC
Region 3, found that the VBU's were manufactured by Joslyn High
Voltage Corporation of Cleveland, Ohio.  The capacitors themselves,
which measured 5" by 1.2" were traced to a defunct company by the
name of Steatite Porcelain Products. Our gamma-spec analysis also
found Th-232.  For further information, you might try contacting Darrel at
the Region 3 offices in Chicago.

Ed Stroud, RAM Inspections
Lab and Radiation Services Division
Colorado Dept. of Public Health and Environment
ed.stroud@state.co.us