Radiation Shielding Design for Cyclotrons

RADSAFERS:

        Our Radiological Engineering Group here at Los Alamos National Laboratory has received a fax'd inquiry from a scientist, who does not presently have e-mail, located in the country of Mexico.  This individual is asking to be referred to any publications that deal specifically with the design of radiation shielding associated with "cyclotrons."  It appears from this individual's FAX that he is inquiring about cyclotrons, in general, and is not limiting his inquiry to small medical isotope producing cyclotrons.

        We are able to provide this individual a list of some obvious references that deal to varying extents with his specific inquiry, such as NCRP 51, IAEA 283, and "Biomedical Particle Accelerators" by Scharf, etc.  Are there any RADSAFERS who are aware of any additional publications focused on radiation shielding design for cyclotrons?  If so, please reply to my e-mail address of lee_david_w@lanl.gov and I will add the reference(s) you cite to our letter of reply to this scientist from Mexico.  Perchance, has the AAPM published any booklet dealing with radiation shielding of medical cyclotrons?

        Thank-you.  Best regards  David

DAVID W. LEE
Los Alamos National Laboratory
Radiation Protection Services, ESH-12