From: Muldoon, Patrick <patrick.muldoon@med.va.gov>
To: Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
Date: Monday, March 15, 1999 4:48 PM
Subject: Staff Justification Help Needed

>What I need is how big is your staff and:

As part of Health and Safety, we have an RSO (vacant), Associate RSO, 2 HPs,
3 "safety officers" (rad techs), plus approximately 1-1/2 clerical
positions.

>What type of license you have;

Broad scope academic, broad scope medical, 2 irradiator, and 1 accelerator
licenses

>How many PI's at your facility;

280 research PIs

>How many users of radioisotopes;

Approximately 2,000, including PIs and medical uses.

>How big is your Nuclear Medicine program;

Not sure how to quantitate

>Do you do brachytherapies;

yes

>How many laboratories and who surveys them;

The 3 rad techs do the hospital labs, the research labs are surveyed as part
of our Collaborative Laboratory Inspection Program (CLIP) which consists of
3 "safety officers", including the 3 rad techs.

>Do you do laser safety too;

It is part of our responsibility, but has not received much attention in the
past - an emerging priority.

>Do you pick-up and prepare your own rad waste for shipment;

Our Hazardous Waste program personnel pick-up, manage, and dispose of
hazardous and radioactive wastes.

>Do you perform tests on x-ray machines and test aprons;

Yes, our HP assigned to hospital operations tests all x-ray machines
annually.  The hospital's QC program tests aprons.

>Do you calibrate your own instruments;

Yes, approximately 300n annually

>And absolutely anything else you can help me with.
>
>I'm in a bind here and will probably be putting this all together at home.
>Who has time at work?  Any help will be appreciated.

The Campus Safety, Health, and Environmental Management Association's
benchmarking project had some rad-related data.  If you do not have that
data, let me know and I will see if I can extract some for you.

Don Willhoit
UNC-Chapel Hill