RE: Comments on Franz' "nail bombs"

Dear colleagues,

I do not want to discuss nail bomb x dirty bomb, but rather give some inputs

why International Organization are worried about the possibility of a Dirty

Bomb. The reason of not discussing the nail bombs is just because the main

focus in Radsafe is radiation safety. There is not difficulty to comment

about nail bombs once living in Israel, we have enough real experience about

this type of bomb. However,before going ahead, only one comment about the

Franz Topic ¨When I during a stop-over in Paris wanted to leave my luggage

at the Charles de Gaulle airport for a day there was no place to leave it,

because they had been closed and all the automaticlockers were closed

because bombs had been exploded there also¨

Today I think for this purpose, any place at airport or free area, it will

appropriate, as it have happened recently at the Cafeteria of the University

of Jerusalem.

Now why International Organization is worried about dirty bomb? – Because in

many countries the necessary laws and regulatory framework are lacking. It

is estimated that there are more than 60 countries having totally

insufficient radiation protection and waste management infrastructures which

encompass laws and regulations that are the basis on which these

infrastructures are developed and in many of these countries still there are

old sources in use out of standard and obsolete equipment's.

Recently we could learn at the IAEA Press Release the fantastic picture of

lack of control. Please take a look at

http://www.iaea.or.at/worldatom/Press/P_release/2002/prn0209.shtml

Inadequate Control of World's Radioactive Sources

¨Vienna, 24 June 2002 -- The radioactive materials needed to build a "dirty

bomb" can be found in almost any country in the world, and more than 100

countries may have inadequate control and monitoring programs necessary to

prevent or even detect the theft of these materials, the International

Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) says.

The IAEA has identified radioactive sources used in industrial radiography,

radiotherapy, industrial irradiators and thermo-electric generators as those

that are the most significant from a safety and security standpoint because

they contain large amounts of radioactive material -- such as cobalt-60,

strontium-90, caesium-137, and iridium-192.¨

Please, pay attention to the fantastic number mentioned ¨more than 100

countries may have inadequate control and monitoring programs necessary to

prevent or even detect the theft of these materials¨

If we consider 130 IAEA´s Member States, that’s mean that more than 75% of

Member States are included in that figure. That’s also mean not only

developing countries should be taken into consideration but also countries

with large use of radioactive material.

Finally to those interested in this subject, please take a look at the

recent Commission of the European Communities document

http://europa.eu.int/eur-lex/pri/en/lip/latest/doc/2002/com2002_0130en01.doc

COMMISSION OF THE EUROPEAN COMMUNITIES

Proposal for a COUNCIL DIRECTIVE on the control of high activity sealed

radioactive sources, Brussels, 18.3.2002

And at the IAEA

http://www.iaea.or.at/worldatom/About/GC/GC44/Documents/gc44-7_attachment.pdf

IAEA - Categorization of Radiation Sources, July 2000

Jose Julio Rozental

jrozental@hotmail.com

Madrid, until 02-10-2002

> [...]

>CC: radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu, Todd Brautigam <brautt@myapc.com>

>Subject: RE: Comments on Franz' "nail bombs"

>Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 14:41:37 -0700

>First let me start by saying that I am personally not impressed by the

>statement that "even the lowest level boulevard newspapers" are concerned

>with the effects of "dirty bombs". I am not sure why I am supposed to be

>swayed by any provincial street level pulp distributor.

>Second, concerns tend to be relative. If one has been attacked by nail

>bombs, then nail bombs tend to be what one worries about. If one has been

>attacked by deranged individuals that crash fully loaded aircraft into

>large

>skyscrapers and subsequent investigation reveals that there were intentions

>to create and use radioactive dirty bombs, then perhaps it is reasonable

>that one should worry about that.

>Regarding "point of efficiency" in a nail bomb versus a dirty bomb, it

>should be clear by now that efficiency is not always the objective and the

>objectives are related to desired outcomes. If the outcome is a simple

>cost/benefit analysis related "kills" then a nail bomb might be the way to

>go. But if the objective is to play on fear and maximize media exposure

>that

>is sure to continue for many days, and in the process create "area denial"

>at the detonation point that could have significant consequences to trade,

>commerce or finance...then a "dirty bomb" might be an appropriate weapon of

>choice. It should also be noted that a nail bomb would be considered "low

>tech / low concept". Our current antagonists seem to prefer "low tech /

>high

>concept" tactics. Dirty bombs fit that profile of weapon choice.

>And lastly, I do believe you are overly optimistic in your assumptions

>regarding the difficulty in obtaining radioactive material for constructing

>dirty bombs. Large amounts of material in several nations remain

>unaccounted

>for. And in America, during a "peace time transfer" of bars of highly

>enriched uranium to a nuclear reactor project in the Sudan during the

>Clinton era, things got nasty in Sudan, the energy reactor never got built,

>and to this day all but one of the bars remain unaccounted for. The one bar

>that was recovered was stumbled upon during an Italian wiretap of organized

>crime figures during which the sale of the bar was attempted to an

>individual representing Middle Eastern "concerns". A sting operation by

>Italian authorities recovered that one bar. When last seen the remaining

>bars were in North Africa and they were apparently making their way to

>Western Europe. North Africa would be the same origin of the suspects that

>victimized your country with nail bombs and at least one of the bars had

>already made it to one of your neighbors. Maybe the lowest level boulevard

>newspapers should reassess their concerns.

Únase al mayor servicio mundial de correo electrónico:

http://www.hotmail.com/es