RE: Apparent anti-correlations between geographic radiation and cancer are not surprising

Kai,

I think part of the problem is that you are looking for a cause to the

cancers observed.  Of all of the carcinogens, smoking remains the strongest,

but what is the next one?  How about diet, which may influences colon/rectal

cancer rates?  How about drinking that may affect esophageal/throat/stomach

cancers?  How about hormone replacement therapy which may lead to increases

of breast cancer?

First of all, cancers occur naturally in the population.    Ergo, more

people, more cancers.  More people, more smoking.  More people, more

drinking. Etc.  The denser the population, as in and around cities, the more

cancers that will be observed.  These maps are aggregates of all cancers,

and highly defined are the areas under study?  To me, it is difficult to

compare a small rual county with a few small towns and a population maybe

30,000 with the NY brough of Manhattan with 3 million people.  (These

numbers are probably way off, but I think you get the idea).

What I suggest is that you compare the cancer incident map with a population

density map.

-- John

John P. Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist

e-mail:  jenday1@msn.com

The comments presented are mine and do not reflect the opinion of my

employer or spouse.