Re: report questions NRC decisions on Davis Besse

On 3 Jan 2003 at 13:49, Norman Cohen wrote:

> The Nuclear Regulatory Commission had enough evidence to justify

> shutting down the Davis-Besse nuclear plant in late 2001 for safety

> concerns, but the agency let the reactor keep running largely because it

> didn't want to hurt owner FirstEnergy Corp. financially.

What the NRC knew, what evaluation they did and the results of the

dialogue is pure speculation by any other entity assessing the DB

situation. While one can always assume that a regulator is basing a

decision on financial terms, the assuming entity is only speculating.

There is ample evidence demonstrating that the NRC on many occasions

has fined utilities (and other licensees) quite heavily when issues

were identified. Many utilities saw their units shut down, even

during the coldest of winters, and the hottest of summers.That being

the case, I seriously question anyone making the case that in the

case of DB, the NRC was more concerned about $$ than about safety.

Until someone produces a "smoking gun" where the finances of a

utility were considered paramount, anything written on this is pure

conjecture, and wishful thinking, from those who only want to shut

down an entire industry.

Sandy Perle

Director, Technical

ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Service

ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue

Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100  Extension 2306

Fax:(714) 668-3149

E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net

E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com

Personal Website: http://sandy-travels.com/