Re: Norm's New Year Resolution may come true: DB may close

At 12:56 PM 01/03/2003 -0500, Norman Cohen wrote in part:

>Just so you know, I am not in favor of shutting down all nukes at the same

>time.

>Obviously that would be impossible to do.

>I am in favor of phasing them out over a period of perhaps 20 years, as we

>phase in alternatives. I am in favor of shutting down the most dangerous

>and most vulnerable first.

>bleedingly heartily yours, ;-)

Norm, I think that both you and I are interested in electrical energy at

the lowest cost, both environmental and financial. I think when I came to

the discussion of the relative risks of different forms of energy

generation, few were willing to step up to the plate and quantify these.

Perhaps because you cannot, but someone produced a table of the number of

deaths associated with power production in various guises and Nuclear won out!

I'm curious, what are your suggestions for the best option to replace the

nuclear power plants you suggest decommissioning? I'm serious, I'm not

trying to bait you.

Perhaps RadSafe is the wrong list to discuss this on, but since you made

the assertion here, I thought we should at least explore this.

One of the things I've noticed is that existing energy infrastructures and

related companies seem to use lawyers to protect the status quo, so that is

one challenge as evidenced by the California laws requiring a certain

percentage of zero emission vehicles and GM's (and perhaps others') attempt

to overturn that rather than spending the money on R&D.

Happy New Year!

Richard