RE: NJ Gets Seaport Radiation Detector

There was an incident about a year ago when a ship

form Italy(?) was searched because radiation detectors

showed higher than normal levels of activity.  It was

determined the activity was due to ceramic tiles that

were made for naturally radioactive clays.

Get used to this kind of response.

--- "Tsurikov, Nick" <Nick.Tsurikov@iluka.com> wrote:

> Dear Michael,

> You comment is probably valid but there are many

> things that are shipped

> across the globe that have nothing to do with

> weapons but would trigger

> detectors at, say, scrap metal yard.  Examples would

> be minerals like

> tantalum concentrate or heavy mineral sands.

> OK, if there is any information out there it should

> probably be not

> posted openly...  but - can we please have some

> contact

> addresses/names/e-mails/phone no's/etc of whom to

> ask?

> If the limits are set too low, the shipping of

> minerals mined outside US

> to numerous processing facilities would be quite

> impossible.  If anyone

> has any contacts with people enacting the 'seaport

> detector' thing -

> could you please ask them to do it having

> NORM-TENORM stuff in mind?

> Kind regards

> Nick Tsurikov

> Eneabba, Western Australia

> http://eneabba.net/

=====

""A fanatic is one who cannot change his mind and won't change the subject."  Winston Churchill

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist

e-mail:  crispy_bird@yahoo.com