RE: RADSAFE digest 2775

Dear Colleges,

I agree with Mr. Ferguson's approach (and other responses similar to his)
for responding to these types of question.  In my opinion some of the public
mistrust toward scientific community, especially in the case of Nuclear
science, steams from the fact that we expect that every member of the public
should have similar level of understanding of the subject as we do!  More
often than less instead of responding to questions in a responsible and
controlled manner we (I included) tend to become more reactionary and
offended by the question and provide the answer in a less palatable way and
perhaps turn the questioner off.  Even though the answer provided could not
have been more correct, but responding with a condescending tone might have
caused a wrong impression of the whole field in Amanda's and Amanda's like
mind, which takes a lot of effort to rectify.  Best regards,

All views expressed are my own, and do not represent the views of Bechtel
Jacobs Co LLC.

Mahmoud H Haghighi, Ph. D.
Senior Nuclear Physicist
Bechtel Jacobs Co., LLC