Re: RADSAFE digest 1651

Does anyone know of any current study that has been conducted on long term
radiation effects on medical radiation workers?  Specifically, the
cardiology group who invariably receive high radiation doses from
fluoroscopically guided invasive procedures.  Thanks.
Ray Fong
Radiation Safety Officer
Naval Medical Center, San Diego
rfong@snd10.med.navy.mil
PH: (619) 532-8783

At 11:24 PM 12/15/97 -0600, you wrote:
>			    RADSAFE Digest 1651
>
>Topics covered in this issue include:
>
>  1) Re: Why sterilize radioactive seeds?
>	by Chris Alston <alstonc@odrge.odr.georgetown.edu>
>  2) RE: Why sterilize radioactive seeds?
>	by "Howe, John" <Howej@NMRIPO.NMRI.NNMC.NAVY.MIL>
>  3) Re: Recent LNT correspondence by Cohen and Scherer
>	by Bernard L Cohen <blc+@pitt.edu>
>  4) Resonse to Meinhold message on LNT
>	by Bernard L Cohen <blc+@pitt.edu>
>  5) Obituary of Prominent Physician
>	by Judd Sills <sillsj@GAT.COM>
>  6) Accelerator Health Physics
>	by Scott Davidson <Scott.Davidson@EM.DOE.GOV>
>  7) food irradiation related question
>	by "Thatcher, Drew" <dht0303@hub.doh.wa.gov>
>  8) Re: food irradiation related question
>	by Tad Blanchard <Tad.M.Blanchard.1@gsfc.nasa.gov>
>  9) security of rad material
>	by "George Rawls" <george@pliny.ehs.ufl.edu>
> 10) Accident Consequences
>	by "Gerry W. Kindred" <gwkindred@centerior.com>
> 11) Re: Radium Chemical Structure
>	by "J. J. Rozental" <josrozen@netmedia.net.il>
> 12) Re: Accident Consequences
>	by LIPTONW@detroitedison.com
> 13) Re: security of rad material
>	by Ruth Weiner <rfweine@sandia.gov>
> 14) follow-up to food irradiation question
>	by "Thatcher, Drew" <dht0303@hub.doh.wa.gov>
> 15) Re[2]: WARD VALLEY AND THE PAPER BY PROFESSOR HAYDEN OF NEBR
>	by "Neil, David M" <NEILDM@inel.gov>
> 16) BEIR VI
>	by Nancy Stanley <NSTANLEY@dep.state.nj.us>
> 17) Re: Accident Consequences
>	by "dama" <dama@waterw.com>
> 18) Re: ALARA
>	by Andy Hull <hull@mail.sep.bnl.gov>
> 19) Thoriated Tungsten Electrodes
>	by "Flora, Jason" <jgf7@cdc.gov>
> 20) Re: food irradiation related question
>	by Rrk099 <Rrk099@aol.com>
> 21) Thoriated Tungsten Electrodes -Reply
>	by Harold Chaney <HDC@nrc.gov>
> 22) RE: Thoriated Tungsten Electrodes
>	by Brent Rogers <brogers@mps.ohio-state.edu>
> 23) Re: food irradiation related question
>	by Wes Van Pelt <VanPeltW@idt.net>
> 24) HPS Web Abstract Submissions
>	by "Brett J. Burk" <BBurk@BurkInc.com>
> 25) Feb HP Journal TOC
>	by Bruce Busby <bbusby@umich.edu>

>Shouldn't prostate seeds be sterilized for the same reasons that the carrier
>needles should be, or a scalpel, or any other such instrument? The dose rate
>at the surface of the seed is not high enough to keep it in a sterile
>condition, if that is the implication of the question.
>
>chris alston
>
>At 11:10  12/13/97 -0500, you wrote:
>>
>>         ** Mail from Medphys Listserver **
>>If you reply to this message, it will be posted on Medphys for all the
>>subscribers to review ...
>>

>>Dear Listers,
>>
>>With the recent messages about radiation sterilization of meat, I got to
>>wondering, "Do we have to sterilize prostate seeds?"
>>
>>Could someone tell what's wrong with that idea?

> [...]
This
>>      has been show to be false. See NCRP Report No. 121 (Principles and
>>      Application of Collective Dose in Radiation Protection) and ACRP-18
>>      (Biological Effects of Low Doses of Radiation at Low Dose Rates).
>
>	--I am not aware that this assumption has ever been made. It is
>obviously not a valid assumption.
>

>------------------------------
>
>Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 10:31:49 -0500 (EST)
>From: Bernard L Cohen <blc+@pitt.edu>
>To: Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
>Subject: Resonse to Meinhold message on LNT
>
>	TThe validity of LNT in the low dose region is a scientific
>question and should be considered in the light of the scientific evidence.
>There is now a mountain of evidence against it and I know of not a shred
>of evidence supporting it. If there is such evidence, why doesn't somebody
>cite it? That would make for a balanced discussion. Unless such evidence
>is cited, how can the NCRP position be characterized as "in the middle"?
>	The only evidence cited favoring LNT is from a paper by Pierce
>based on A-bomb survivor data, but the statement in that paper is not at
>all supported by the evidence in that paper.
>
>Bernard L. Cohen
>Physics Dept.
>University of Pittsburgh
>Pittsburgh, PA 15260
>Tel: (412)624-9245
>Fax: (412)624-9163
>e-mail: blc+@pitt.edu

>Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 07:56:02 -0800
>From: Judd Sills <sillsj@GAT.COM>
>To: radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu
>Subject: Obituary of Prominent Physician
>
>I saw an item this morning regarding the death (12/9/97) of Dr. Leonard
Sagan,